A customer “complained” to me the other day that keyboard input on their computer was slow and delayed. I tested Microsoft Word and some other programs and everything worked normally. I troubleshot their computer some more and found that keyboard input was only slow and delayed in Google Chrome. Once I discovered keyboard input was slow in Google Chrome, I doubled down on the issue. Before I get into what all I did to troubleshoot the issues, this computer was running Windows 10 and Google Chrome Version 50.
I tried these troubleshooting steps and none of the below worked.
- Started Chrome in Incognito Mode and typing was just as delayed
- Created a new Chrome profile – same issue
- Reinstalled Google Chrome – no go
- Tried Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer – they were both fine
- Checked Chrome browser extensions but only had LastPass & AdBlock Plus Installed
- Disabled various flags under Chrome://flags – didn’t help
- Checked to make sure the browser wasn’t starting in compatibility mode – it wasn’t
- Tried starting the browser in compatibility mode – that didn’t work either
- Disabled Hardware Acceleration in Chrome – No Change
- Disabled Chrome from running in the background after the browser is closed
- Removed Internet filtering software on computer- same trouble
I searched high and low on the Internet for an answer to this issue. However, I could find nothing that worked.
After all the above troubleshooting, I was convinced it was a process in Windows that was creating issues. I started by killing one process at a time and then typing in Google Chrome. After killing the iDrive process, for iDrive online backup, I tried typing in Google Chrome – everything was fine. I started iDrive backup again and once again my typing in Chrome was delayed.
I updated the iDrive application to the latest version and it seemed to have fixed the issue. If this issue returns again, I may need to uninstall iDrive and install a different online backup program.
I really can’t explain why this fixed the issue. I know the fix above may not solve your slowness issues in Chrome. If there is one person out there that this article can help, it will be worth this blog post. I will post some links below to some other articles that have Google Chrome troubleshooting tips that may help you.
Please let a comment below if this post helped you, thanks. This was posted by techspeeder.