I ran into this issue with a customer today. She wanted their SharePoint site, part of their Office 365 subscription, as her home page in Internet Explorer 11. I put their SharePoint URL as the homepage in Internet Explorer. As soon as I opened Internet Explorer 11, it would instantly crash. After trying to open Internet Explorer up multiple times, and each time it crashed, I knew it was something between Internet Explorer and SharePoint Online not playing nice.
The item that stood out to me was the faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll. I did some research online and found the SharePoint Export Database Launcher addon was causing the crash. According to this site; the SharePint Export Database Launcher does the following tasks.
SharePoint Export Database Launcher
- An ActiveX control that enables a user to create or open a database that contains data from a list in Microsoft SharePoint Foundation
- When a page that contains a view of a list opens, the _ExportToDatabase function is called, which is defined in the OWS.js file. This function creates the control on the page and exports the list.
- This control is defined in OWSSUPP.dll, a dynamic-link library (DLL) that is installed in the %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ directory on the client computer during Microsoft Office 2010 Setup.