A customer brought in a laptop today that couldn’t access Google.com or Gmail. They could go to all the other sites except those two. So I opened Internet Explorer and I got this error when trying to access Google.com:
When I saw that error I had no clue what was happening. I thought maybe there could be a virus giving us this issue. However I had run a quick scan with Malwarebytes before , and it didn’t find any objects. Also, the laptop was very fast. I decided to try reset Internet Explorer to its defaults (including erasing personal settings) – it didn’t fix the issue. I was practically stomped.
Then I opened Google Chrome and the same thing was happening. Google Chrome’s error message was a lot more helpful.
I started looking around and decided this error might have something to do with the antivirus software running on the laptop. The laptop had Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 installed. I started disabling the Antivirus protection and some of the other settings. I saved those settings and opened Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. I went to Google.com and the site loaded in both browsers. I used the process of elimination until I came upon the culprit that was blocking Google.com and Gmail.
Here is the steps I found to work. Attn: This is a workaround, do this at your own risk.
Step One: Close all open Internet browsers. Open your Kaspersky control panel and click Settings. Then go to the Advanced Settings tab and click on Network. Under the “Encrypted connections scan ” uncheck Scan encrypted connections. Click Apply and OK.
Step Two: Close the control panel and open your browser. Try going to Google.com, if it works you are good to go. If you can’t go to Google.com, restart your computer and it should take care of the issue.
I tried to reinstall the certificates in the browsers since that seemed to be why I was got that error. When I opened the browser I got the same error. At this point,I believe there is a certificate conflict between Kaspersky and the browsers. If you update to the 2014 version there is a possibility that would fix this issue.
I personally don’t think it is a big deal to keep “scan encrypted connections” unchecked. This only disables that feature. You still have virus protection and a firewall for your computer.
I “Googled” the issue that I was having and Kaspersky has a forum thread full with this issue. Check it out if you want more information.
This was posted by techspeeder.
Thanks so much for this answer. Sorted out the same problem (on Mac) for me.
Amazing solution, this worked for me. Many thanks! !
Thanks a lot mate !!
thank you ….. best solution
Can’t but to add one more thank you!!!
Nice article. But many points can be add on to fix SSL error. I found some in http://www.infocurse.com/fix-ssl-connection-error-in-google-chrome-browser-solutions/
thanks of u so much….
me same problem but the anti virus is different ESET NOD32 and i didn’t find the network option in advanced setting so i need help
I believe this is where you change the network settings in the ESET NOD32 antivirus software. Open the NOD32 Antivirus control panel > Setup > Enter Advanced Setup (at the bottom of the page) > Web and Email > Web Access Protection. Under Web Access Protection you will find HTTP, HTTPS scanner setup. Uncheck Enable HTTP checking and see if that fixes the issue. Do this at your own risk, it could potentially open you to more threats, thank you.
I have had this problem for at least 6 months and although I have a different anti virus, ESET Smart Security, your explanation solved my problem too. Thanks a lot and a lot to you for posting this guide.
For those who don’t know about ESET:
go to setup —-> click “enter advanced setup” —-> click “web and email” ——> click “web access protection” ——-> click “HTTP, HTTPS” —–> click “do not use HTTPS protocol checking —–> ok
Oh my, thanks alot mate! You just propably saved my marriage 😉
I’m not using Kapersky but same sort of issue with Avast.
Disabling “Active browser security” from settings did the trick. Thou I was able to put it back on and everything was dandy.
This is bad advice really (“just disable” without knowing what it’s protecting).
It might be needed, but one should be aware of the risk it creates. Unfortunately there isn’t much that can be done right now except educating oneself, it needs improvement by antivirus makers and browser creators.
We just had a thread on this (short and in-depth) on Wilders Security Forum, worth a read if you can handle basic security info: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/ssl-scanning-vs-ceritificate-verification-a-v-vs-mitm-conflicting-needs.368864
I think it’s the first thread I’ve seen that really covers what’s up, properly? Hope it helps someone. I don’t know how to fix it either, at least now I know an Antivirus expert view on the “Hidden issue” that is going on here and how it could be fixed…… (I have had annoyance with the same issue for years too!!!)
Thanks so much for informing me and the readers here. Please be advised this “fix” is only a workaround. I hope AV companies come out with a real fix for this issue.
great article. Thanks for sharing this info. However, date and time settings on PC could also create problems sometimes. This and some other info is listed here:
Pingback: How To Fix Google Chrome Error Entry Point in Windows
Thanks, It helped,a bit but i got my problem solved at http://www.inforaid.com/fix-ssl-connection-error-in-google-chrome/
These solutions have got outdated. There are new solutions (authorized by Google) which can be used to fix SSL Connection error.
Thanks for the good advice!
So i just got the newest update from Apple and it’s causing this issue in Chrome. I tried some of the above tips but doesn’t work. Someone posted this one http://www.cydiageeks.com/fix-hsts-ssl-certificate-error-google-chrome-macos.html