9 thoughts on “An error occurred while configuring Windows Server Essentials. Please try again.

1. Pingback: Fun with NUC servers | Jeremy Davis

2. Chris Wigley

Instead of re-installing the OS, you can simply use the Remove Server Roles dialogs to remove the Server Essentials, then reboot

3. Merlin Halteman Post author

Hello Chris, You are correct if you are using Windows Server 2012/R2. However, with the standalone Windows Server Essentials R2 software your only option is to reinstall the operating system.

4. CM

Regarding doing this with the standalone Windows Server Essentials R2 software you can run an elevated powershell prompt and type in: Uninstall-WindowsFeature ServerEssentialsRole – I had to run this twice with a reboot in between and then I started and completed the wizard from scratch (with a new username). It should be noted on my first attempt to use the wizard with the offending username I only got as far as the first automatic reboot which as far as I could tell just renamed the computer and did nothing else before presenting me with the error.

5. brentb

Was trying to set up Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on my Intel NUC (model NUC5i7RYH) and was getting the same repeated error message/screen shown above. I tried debugging using a lot of other references I found online but was stuck with the same error. Came across your post above and gave it a try since my server administrator user name was “ABCDadmin”. I quickly reinstalled the OS and changed it to something without *admin* in it. It worked like a champ the first time!

Just to confirm, I tried it again on an identical set up of hardware with the original “ABCDadmin” in the name and it failed there as well. Repeating the process with the non-“admin” characters in the user name worked again.

Thanks VERY MUCH for posting this bit of advice! I confirm your solution!

1. Merlin Halteman Post author

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with me! It helps me as well as other readers.

6. Richard Bowmaker

Incredibly, this is still a problem in Windows Server 2016 Essentials.

If you enter a server administrator username containing “Admin”, the Essentials configuration fails with that vague error message, and no way to fix it but to reinstall from scratch.

7. James

I stuck at 95%, after doing everything I found that regional zone was misconfigured. I set up the righ one, retried and worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. RustyCaliTech

WSE2016. Endlessly stuck at 16%. It was failing at user creation (creating the “network administrator” account) (don’t have the log files handy to paste details here). The name did NOT have admin in it, etc. The problem was SPECIAL CHARS IN THE PASSWORD. So keeping the password alphanumeric worked, then changed it later.