Internet Explorer 11 Crashes When Loading SharePoint Online Site

I ran into this issue with a customer today. She wanted their SharePoint site, part of their Office 365 subscription, as her home page in Internet Explorer 11. I put their SharePoint URL as the homepage in Internet Explorer. As soon as I opened Internet Explorer 11, it would instantly crash. After trying to open Internet Explorer up multiple times, and each time it crashed, I knew it was something between Internet Explorer and SharePoint Online not playing nice.

I went to EventViewer and found this message.ucrtbase.dll sharepoint IE crash

The item that stood out to me was the faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll. I did some research online and found the SharePoint Export Database Launcher addon was causing the crash.  According to this site; the SharePint Export Database Launcher does the following tasks.

SharePoint Export Database Launcher

  • An ActiveX control that enables a user to create or open a database that contains data from a list in Microsoft SharePoint Foundation
  • When a page that contains a view of a list opens, the _ExportToDatabase function is called, which is defined in the OWS.js file. This function creates the control on the page and exports the list.
  • This control is defined in OWSSUPP.dll, a dynamic-link library (DLL) that is installed in the %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14\ directory on the client computer during Microsoft Office 2010 Setup.

I opened Internet Explorer 11 and disabled the SharePoint Export Database Launcher.SharePoint Export Database Launcher I tried opening the SharePoint site, and Internet Explorer 11 opened just fine and didn’t crash.

In this situation, it was fine to disable this add-in since this company doesn’t need to use this add-in. However, if someone has a true fix, instead of a workaround, please let me know.

This was posted by techspeeder. Follow me on Twitter and check out my YouTube Channel.


3 thoughts on “Internet Explorer 11 Crashes When Loading SharePoint Online Site

  1. JoeC5711

    In our case, our browser did not have the “SharePoint Export Database Launcher” add-on. After installing Office 2016, our users browsers crash when launching a SharePoint site on SharePoint Foundation 2013.

    I also didn’t feel rolling back to Office 2013 was a “fix”, just a temporary work around.

    As of 6/30/16, we’re on the latest and greatest Office 2016 release (through Office 365 subscription), and this is still an issue for our users, so Microsoft has not fixed this problem with any recent releases. Maybe there’s a patch we just haven’t approved yet…

    I wound up troubleshooting this all the way down to the GPO we had in place controlling IE settings for our entire user base.

    For anyone that has a similar issue, try this: (this assumes your users access the SharePoint site via your Intranet…)

    Open Group Policy Mgmt, then edit the policy controlling your IE Settings. Expand User Configuration, then Policies, then Administrative Templates, then Windows Components. Next, expand Internet Explorer, then Internet Control Panel, then Security Page, then select Intranet Zone. Locate the setting Turn on Protect Mode, and set this to Not Configured, or Disabled. Close Group Policy Mgmt Editor, ensure your policy updates, and force your user(s) to gpupdate. Launch a new IE browser and see if that resolves the issue.

    Worked for us.

  2. RTracy

    I wanted to also leave an update to this post in case anyone stumbles upon this. We were having issues with IE 11 crashing every time someone would launch a SharePoint site. We use the latest (as of today) Office 365/2016. Once the user tried to open the SharePoint site IE would show an error that it stopped working. If we just closed the error dialogue box IE had options in the page. One of these options was to try to connect to SharePoint again. When clicking on that it went to SharePoint without issue. This was obviously not a solution. I found that it was being caused by an add-on named SharePoint STSS Handler. As with many add-ons, it did not appear until we went into that site. Now I had to figure out a way to disable the add-on for everyone. I ended up tracing it back down to a file called interceptor.dll. This was located in “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Interceptor.dll” I grit my teeth and changed the name to interceptor.BAK.dll and tried it out. IE didn’t seem to crash any longer when opening SharePoint. It has been a few days and I have had no complaints about IE crashing. What I did added a GPO so that when a computer restarted to run a batch file. The batch just renamed the interceptor file, and that also took care of the add-on issue. Here is what I had for the script:

    @echo off
    RENAME “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Interceptor.dll” Interceptor.BAK.dll

    Hope this helps 🙂

    1. Merlin Halteman Post author

      Cheers to finding a solution! Thanks for posting your findings. I am sure someone will find this quite helpful.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.