I haven’t heard of many people, that the upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 didn’t work smoothly. However, I did run into an issue recently. When trying to upgrade a Windows 8 computer to 8.1, it would download the update from the Microsoft Store but through the installation process it would error out. Here is how I fixed the issue. Kudos to Peter_Mc , without your helpful troubleshooting, this would have been a long day 🙂
Problem: When installing the Windows 8.1 update, the update would install until it got to 3% and then it would error out. This is the message it gave: Couldn’t update to Windows 8.1 . . . Sorry, we couldn’t complete the update to Windows 8.1. We’ve restored your previous version of Windows to this PC. 0x80070005-0x4000D .
Step One: Browse to this location: C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther and you will find a Setuperr log file. This log file contains the errors your computer ran into while upgrading the PC to 8.1.This is what my log said: User profile loading error.
Step Two: Oddly enough, the c:\Users\Brent was an old user account that they weren’t using, and it corrupted for them. Since the user profile, Brent, was corrupt, I cut that whole user folder to the base of C:\. We then tried the upgrade process and it worked like a charm!
If this helped, like us on Facebook. This was posted by techspeeder.