After installing two Server 2016 Essentials servers this week, I found Anywhere Access on both servers didn’t work properly. When I browsed to the Remote Web Access URL (mycompany.remotewebaccess.com) , I was always greeted with the Internet Information Services (IIS) page. I figured I may have setup something wrong, so I double-checked my settings but everything was setup correctly.
I then went to mycompany.remotewebaccess.com/remote and the site then came up fine.
This is the workaround I found to fix this issue.
Step One: Open Internet Information Services (IIS)
Step Two: Go to Sites > Default Web Site > HTTP Redirect
Step Three:Check the box Redirect requests to this destination: “Enter company URL with /remote at the end.
Check the box “Only redirect requests to content in this directory (not subdirectories)”
Step Four: Click Apply You should be set now. If this doesn’t work for you, restart the Default Web Site.
I found this forum thread on TechNet with other experiencing the same issues. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to comment on that thread. That will help bring it to Microsoft’s attention. I believe this is a bug with Server 2016. Server 2012 and 2012R2, this worked perfectly without having to do this HTTP Redirect. I will keep you posted if I learn more.
I ran into a very frustrating issue today. My job was to join a brand new Windows 10 computer to a domain. The server was running Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2. I felt this would be a simple job- but it didn’t turn out that way.
Typically, I join the computer to the domain using the Windows Server Essentials connector tool. Here are the steps I use below.
Step One: I went //servername/connect and installed the connector software. I rebooted the computer when I was prompted to do so.
Step Two: The computer rebooted and started booting into a _clientsetup_$ profile. The computer took a minute or two but it logged into the _clientsetup_$ profile. I was then prompted to enter the user’s credential’s to connect the computer to the domain.
Step Three: I entered the credentials, and then I selected “Setup this PC for myself”. Instantly, the connector software froze and said: “Windows Server Essentials Connector” has stopped responding, end program. The Connector software closed but the computer kept me logged into the _clientsetup_$ profile until I rebooted the computer.
I then logged into the computer. The computer was joined to the domain but the Connector software was not installed.
I thought this may have been a one-off issue so I tried joining the computer again. Once again, I was greeted with “Windows Server Essentials Connector” has stopped responding. I will list below all the things I tried -none of them worked.
I tried to join the computer to the domain with the admin credentials instead of the user’s credentials.
During the Connector software setup, I selected “Setup this PC for myself and others” instead of “Setup this PC for myself.
I checked Event Viewer. It said clientdeploy.exe has stopped working. Right before that error, I got a .Net framework error as well. I ran the Microsoft .Net Repair Tool. The .Net repair tool didn’t fix my problem, so I turned off .Net framework in “Turn Windows Features On or Off” in Windows. That didn’t work as well.
Installed the Windows Server Essentials R2 Connector from Microsoft’s website.
Right-clicked on the connector file and “Ran as an Administrator”
Connected the laptop via an Ethernet connection (instead of wireless) and ran the wizard.
I joined the domain manually and then tried to run the Connector software. It still failed.
I created a new local admin profile and ran the Connector wizard from that profile.
I rebooted the server.
Disabled IPv6 on the laptop- we thought maybe there was a conflict
Renamed the laptop multiple times
I checked the server. The computer showed up under the devices tab in the dashboard as being on the domain. However, the computer showed offline and the server didn’t know what OS was installed or anything about the client.
If you are like me, I love the new Windows 10 Spotlight images on my Lock Screen. I like these photos so much that it would be nice to be able to download and save these files.
I found that the quickest and simplest way to get these lockscreen images is to download the SpotBright App from the Windows 10 store.
This app does exactly as it advertises. It downloads the daily lockscreen images that Microsoft uses on Windows 10 desktop and mobile.
Once the app is downloaded just do a Fast Search and it will find all the current Spotlight images that Microsoft currently offers. Just download the images files and you are set! The cool part is that each photo has a mobile and desktop version. You get to choose what photo to use according to what device you want the photo on!
One of my customers was complaining that Outlook 2013 would disappear when he minimized the program. Here is the “fix” for this if you are experiencing the same thing. This “fix” will also work for Outlook 2016 running on Windows 10.
Step One: Open Outlook.
Step Two: Find the Microsoft Outlook icon in your icon tray. You may need to click the “up” arrow.
Step Three: Right-click the Microsoft Outlook icon and uncheck the setting ” Hide When Minimized“. With that setting unchecked your problem will be solved.
If this helped you please leave a comment or share this tip with your friends.